Things I Would Tell to My 25-Year Old Self
- Calm down. You will get married (at 36) and you will love this person with every fiber of your being. You will also hate this person with that same intensity – every once in a while. It’s not a deal breaker. It’s reality.
- Careers have a lot of ups and downs. You will have a great couple of years and then you will fall on your face for a while. You will have moments of well-deserved success. You will also be judged in ways you didn’t anticipate – by women of all things. That’s okay. They are shallow, vapid jerks. Let them have their fun.
- “Good Will Hunting” is no fluke. Ben and Matt are in it for the long haul. Carol and Doug will end up together. “Friends” doesn’t go out of style. And we will continue to be obsessed with Jennifer’s hair.
- Karma is real. People that do bad things will eventually see the other side of this. And be patient. This could take YEARS. Settle in.
- Things happen for a reason. Those guys that just weren’t that into you? You dodged a bullet. The next 10-15 years will provide a lot of perspective on this. Get on your knees and thank god those relationships did not work out.
- People change. You can’t expect everyone to be who they were. We all grow and change – some of us later than others. When you change – and really fall in love – you will see that and start to become a lot more accepting of others. Cut people a little slack.
- You look great. You think you are not pretty enough or thin enough. You are and frankly you may never look this good again so soak it in now. But I would recommend a good eye cream regimen. You’ll thank me later.
- You won’t become a mother in the way you thought. You will get put through the ringer, experience loss, and face your worst fears. Amazingly, this won’t kill you. In fact, it will make you stronger. And better. But you will always have a little hole in your heart.
- Your parents are awesome. They will never let you down. You may catch some lousy breaks in life, but bad parents aren’t one of them. Don’t forget to tell them this. Or better yet, show them.
- Ben Affleck is still everything. In fact, he only gets better with age.
- You know how you love the idea of living alone (and eventually do)? That will stop the minute you own a house and your husband goes away for the weekend. You are a wimp. Get it together.
- Travel rocks. You should travel more – a lot more. Go to Spain, Italy, Hawaii, Greece, or San Francisco. But you can’t because you are in debt…
- Your debt will get worse. You should have been a lot smarter with your money. However, you will get out of debt…in about 10 years. You are an idiot. Don’t do it again.
- Follow your instincts. They will never fail you. Also, trust yourself more and judge yourself less.
- You will be blessed with many friends – some will stay, some will go. Nurture and treasure those friendships. Oh, and have more girlfriend time. You will be a better wife for it.
- You will learn how to cook, but you remain a lousy housekeeper. Luckily, you marry someone who accepts this – and pretty much everything else – about you.
- Stop worrying about everything. You won’t listen to me on this one. You will still do it. Hopefully when we try this again in 20 years you will have learned something…