If you are experiencing a crisis in confidence, stop what you are doing and read this article – Mentally Strong People: The 13 Things They Avoid.
(Wait, do I qualify as mentally strong?)
Perhaps like me, you are guilty of every last one of these – at one time or another. Frankly, I still struggle with many of these when fear rears its ugly head. I’ve given up after failures; wasted an embarrassing amount of time feeling sorry for myself; resented other people; and given away my power. That last one stings the most. You can be scared, angry and resentful – sometimes all at once. Embrace it, face it and then move the hell on. But do not give away your power…
- Don’t go overboard trying to please everyone. You’ll fail. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t nurture and develop relationships with the ones you love and go out of your way to make them happy. That isn’t loss of power. It’s love.
- Be active. No, not at the gym (but that’s good too). I’m talking about my #1 pet peeve – the passive aggressive person. In my family, if we saw a pile of crap in the middle of the room, we acknowledged, grabbed a shovel, cleaned it up and threw it out. We didn’t pretend it smelled like roses.
- Pursue your goals. “I wish I could XYZ, but I can’t.” Well, no, not with that attitude. Start believing in yourself. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
- Set boundaries. This is a big one for me. You know what you can handle and what you can’t. After I turned 30, I got a lot better at this. At 41, I’m gaining a little more ground. Stand up for yourself, understand your threshold, and accept it. If you accept it, eventually others will be forced to follow suit.
We all require a little rewiring from time to time. Need to power up? Write your career map. Get a life coach. Start to meditate. I think it all starts with loving yourself. Not the easiest thing to do. Believe me, I know.
If all else fails, just keep repeating these awesome, inspiring quotes on self-acceptance, personal strength, and true grit.
- “I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.” – Brene Brown
- “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
- “When you stop living your life based on what others think of you real life begins. At that moment, you will finally see the door of self- acceptance opened.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “There’s no alternative to being yourself. Accept it, honor it, value it – and get on with it.”
― Rasheed Ogunlaru
I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.