Baby its cold outside! We will be laying low this weekend and cozying up with Scout, our new kitten. This weather simply requires comfort food and I am craving greens again so I decided to make a bunch of kale and my new favorite vegan sausage from Field Roast. I’m not typically a huge fan of “fake” sausage, but this brand is head and shoulders above the rest.
The two recipes below are perfect for a big batch of kale – similar ingredients yet with enough variety that I won’t mind eating kale and sausage tonight and tomorrow night. I may be jumping the gun here because there was a rumor that my husband was going to cook tonight. Don’t get me wrong – he can try, but he will need to make one of these two recipes under my supervision. Or if he really wants to surprise me he can pick up some dessert on his way home tonight (hopefully he reads this blog on occassion).
Kale, Sausage and Mushroom Stew – by Mark Bittman/Bitten Blog – New York Times
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 links of Field Roast vegan sausage, Italian variety or 3/4 to 1 pound Italian sausage, sweet or hot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound kale, leaves stripped from stems, stems reserved
- 3/4 pound trimmed and sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika or dried red chili flakes, or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
Put olive oil in large deep skillet or casserole, and turn heat to medium-high; a minute later, add sausage and cook without stirring until well browned on one side, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, chop kale stems into 1/2-inch lengths and shred leaves. Stir sausage and let it brown a bit more. Remove it with a slotted spoon (don’t worry if it isn’t cooked through). Cook mushrooms in remaining fat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Add kale stems and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown, in 3 or 4 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add garlic, paprika or chili flakes, kale leaves, salt and pepper; stir and cook about 1 minute. Return sausage to pan and add stock or water. Raise heat to high and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste, ladle stew into bowls and top with reserved mushrooms.
Shell Pasta with Sausage and Greens Recipe
- 1 lb. shell or ear-shaped pasta
- 3-4 links of Field Roast vegan sausage, Italian variety or 3/4 lb. Italian sausage – half hot, half sweet or plain
- 12 oz. bunch of kale, broccoli rabe, or other green, chopped (if using kale, or leafy green, remove and discard center stem)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a Tbsp of olive oil. Add the pasta and cook as directed on the package, until al dente. While pasta is being prepared, cook kale or rabe in chicken stock for about 8 minutes. While greens are cooking, sauté Italian sausage until brown – about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove sausage from pan. Add green onions to pan, sauté until soft. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. When pasta is done, drain and return to pan. Toss together with the greens, sausage, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Add chile pepper flakes to taste. Serves four to six.